Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Giving Tree

[A friend mentioned The Giving Tree in her blog, and my response got a little long... really, it became a post. Hence I am posting it.]

Ah, The Giving Tree. One of my favorites, too, and I also had the best experience with that book this week, which I will tell you. You have no choice. Ha ha ha. (But it's not as good a story without my expansive hand gestures... sorry ;)).

So I work at the library next door, yeah? Well, I do, at P--- Developmental School. My boss, who usually does storytime with the younger kids (in fact LOVES doing storytime so I've never offered to do it before, even though I love reading aloud, too)... was sick this week.

"Oh." I said casually. "Well... I could do it... if you WANT..." (trembling with excitement. not really). My second-in-command boss said, "Sure, why not." I picked out a little book about a frog in a bog on a log.

In walks the kindergarten, eyes shining, little pigtails curling, feet and fingers twitching. The epitome of cute and fresh-into-the-world-ness.

So I sat on the little stool and read the little book, pausing appropriately at the rhymes, etc., etc. but I was done in about five minutes. I said, "The End," in my most expressive book voice, closed the cover, and looked into their expectant faces... "And, uh, NOW...," I continued, "for the SECOND book," and grabbed the first familiar title I saw on the shelf.

You really can't go wrong with The Giving Tree. I have yet to meet a kid who doesn't like it. It's always been one of my favorites, so when I read it (I really must abandon modesty here and say- ) I really did it justice. :) I read the final line - "And the tree was happy." There was a pregnant pause.

And then the kindergarten burst into applause.

I kid you not! They clapped. It was a defining moment. It made me wish for a second that I could be a career story reader. I guess I'll have to abandon my role when my boss comes back next week, but it was great while it lasted. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home